Saturday, January 21, 2012

I asked for a Muir Commons Chicken Blog, and Lis did it!  Thanks, Lis!

I was thinking of sharing MC stories - maybe not just about chickens, but they were my inspiration.  Not-quite-two-year-old grandson Orion LOVES those girls.  He has taken to chanting "Grammy, Grandpa Ray, chickens" over and over, trying to get his folks to bring him over.  He calls each chicken by name, and when he's listing people he loves, he includes "I love Lulu, I love Mimi, I love Martha Muffin, I love Betty Bob...."

The other day we went inside the chicken coop (much to his dad's dismay when he saw the bottoms of Orion's shoes).  We hugged chickens (gently).  Lulu seemed especially blase about it.  Over and over, he'd look at me with wonder and delight and say "in the chicken coop!"

Yesterday he was into looking for eggs.  We found one in the nest and he carefully with both hands carried it home to show Grandpa Ray.  Then we scrambled it and he ate it.  This was the first time he'd made the connection that you can both gather and eat those eggs!  At first he'd thought they were for the chickens to eat.  Later in the afternoon we repeated the whole routine - I guess he got his protein for the day while enjoying 2/3 of my next egg allotment.

Jane

2 comments:

  1. Love this story - thanks for sharing, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids and chickens are some kind of magical combination. Also: Do not joke with Lis about blogs. She's very serious about blogs, and yes, she *will* make it happen. I know from experience. ;-)

    ReplyDelete